my foot slipped off the clutch,The enging started smoking It lasted 50 Mi. ???

10

Asked by May 26, 2013 at 10:43 PM about the 1982 Dodge Ram 50 Pickup

I was giong slow in reverse when my foot sliped off the clutch, it jerked and spun rhe wheel and I depressed the clutch befor i killed it. heave white smoke started coming out of tail pipe and did not clear up for over 50 miles. The truck runs great and has not smoked since.

98,365

White is usually coolant in the combustion process but in your case I believe the the white smoke was a high concentration of oil, I observed this one other time on a farm. The fella had one of those Mitsubishi pickups and was coming down a really steep hill and it started just gushing white smoke out of the tailpipe, when he got to me it was still smoking but not as bad. So i asked him about the smoke, he said it had done that on the same spot even when it was new and had taken it back to the dealer several times to find the problem and they never could find it, until way after warranty was up he going down the same hill and it started smoking only this time he hit a unexpected hole and killed it so he opened the hood and was checking stuff and noticed that there was an oil film on the valve cover by the filler cap he pulled off the oil cap and oil was just thick in the valve cover but draining back fast, what he decided was that when he headed down the hill the oil ran forward and was picked up by the timing chain and dumped in the valve train area and then of course the crankcase vent system picked up the extra oil and ran through the intake as raw oil, so he put it back together and tried to start it but it would not fire, pulled out the plugs and they were all oil covered, so he cranked it without any plugs in to clean it out as much as possible and put new plugs in it and it fired off and smoked until it burned it all out of the system, Never did fix the problem, maybe there wasn't one just a engineering problem. So I hope my little story may have put your mind at ease, I think that is what happened to you, I believe that your truck has the same engine design as the farmers. Have a good Holiday.