What's wrong with my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500? Please help!

Asked by Jan 15, 2015 at 12:09 AM about the 1989 Dodge Ram

My dodge ram 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 with 95,000 miles. It was used by a friend to haul a
heavy load. A big trailer with a couple thousand pounds to be exact. Well, he was driving
on cruise control at about 65 for a couple hours and it started overheating and the engine
light came on and he pulled over. Antifreeze was sprayed all under the hood. Why did it do
this? Also, the truck was overheating. He stopped for a bit and kept going. The engine
light came on and he was able to drive the truck and everything back home without
reaching the red zone on the temp gauge. Now, the engine light is off. But when I drive
without a trailer, the truck still overheats. I'll stop at a stop light and when I accelerate, I
hear fluid moving in the dash and the truck starts cooling back down, then slowly starts
increasing again until the next time I hear that fluid sound. It's winter and the heat does't
work now after all of this.

20

Is antifreeze low. And is your fan by the rad working. Or is it a fan blade on the motor

77,895

It sounds like you may have a couple of problems, the intial overheating could be a partially restricted radiator, with the increased engine load it could not handle the increased heat thus blowing coolant everywhere, you might get by with it during the winter, but it will get worse as time goes. I would change the thermostat due to the fact it did overheat. The rushing water sound is air in the cooling system, that should remedy itself when you change the thermostat and refill the system with antifreeze.