Not starting....

Asked by Nov 25, 2013 at 08:02 AM about the 1987 Dodge Ram

Have a  D 150 1987...has fuel spark new rotor cap plugs and carb...cranks but does not start..first time for this ever...

Do you have compression?

Yes.....cyclinders were flooded with fuel so I removed pluygs and cranked engine to blow them out....good compression...not read with a gauge....

So if the cylinders were flooded out then they are washed, you may have to squirt a little oil in each cylinder to bring them back to normal compression.

Ok....problem is it ran fine until I changed the plugs and cap...was a little hesitation which prompted me to tune it up....Carb only came after a fountain of gas shot out of the original once I tried starting it again.

When you did the plug wires did you do them 1 at a time to match lengths or did you just pull then all off and went from there?

They are marked perm.....been doing this for 25 years(my own tune ups) truck has only had to be serviced once by a mechanic for a drive shaft I said this one is got me puzzled...timing is correct and hitting TDC @8 degrees...

I was told also possible clogged catalytic converters(original)When running it did heat up fast

Yeah if the cat is plugged it can't breathe, is the cat clamp on or is it welded?

Welded.....has to wait....getting hit in the east with a storm and no garage.....

did you find the solution of the problem because i have a 87 dodge ram D100 and it wont start up .

Id love to know what happened with yours? I have an 87 D100 L6 3.7L & all the sudden it killed 2 starters and wont crank. Plugs cap all replaced. Repaired wiring to battery and checjed alternator and coil connections....