Are the 1985 318 dodge motors interference?

20

Asked by Jun 21, 2017 at 06:17 PM about the 1985 Dodge Ram

I was told my timing chain must have jumped and two cylinders have no
compression. Hopefully a bent valve?

83,225

You may have bent valves. If you replace the timing gears and chain use all metal gears, not the nylon gunk.

20

Thank you, first time having a timing gear go.

83,225

I had a Ford 289 and dropped the pan to clean it out. I wondered what all those little triangular pieces of plastic were. Fortunately I figured it out and changed the gears and chain in time. The car ran a LOT smoother afterwards!

71,785

If you have good compression (150 PSI or higher) on all but those two cylinders it's not the timing chain. If the two cylinders with the zero compression are next to each other it's a blown head gasket. HTH. -Jim

295

Did it overheat at some point? How many miles ? What does your oil and coolant look like? Colour and levels.

20

Oil clear and full. 118,000 miles. I went to start it and it made a really nasty noise. Thought it sounded like the exhaust was clogged. Shut it down right away and it hasn't started but once since and only ran for ten seconds. Valves clacking.

71,785

If the head gasket is blown in between the two cylinders you won't have oil and coolant mixing. Only loss of compression. HTH. - Jim

20

It is a bad timing chain. Next checking the heads. Thank you for the suggestions.