1984 dodge 4X4 wont start

Asked by Nov 06, 2013 at 03:05 PM about the 1984 Dodge Ram

The truck used to start from the key now it doesnt. I have replaced the ignition switch and the relay on the inside of the drivers fender well and still nothing. I can jump the relay and it will fire right up with the key in the on position and cut off with the key. All the fuses are good and the fusable links. So before I go completely grey haired can someone please give me some suggestions.

790

The neutral safety switch is what activates the starter relay , it has to be good before it will start from the key.

I bypassed the switch and yet still nothing

790

By bypass what do you mean?

790

It has to be checked in steps..first you have to check if power is going to the neutral safety switch..I like someone to keep turning the key off and on that gives me a signal that flashes or goes on and off that way you know if you have the voltage to it ...then you have to check it at the starter to see if it makes it through to the starter

To bypass the switch I was told to ground out the positive on the switch and it would by pass it

790

There should be 2 wires that are big on it test each wire like I was saying earlier let me know

Ok thank you. And there are 3 wires all the same size. 2 of the go to the reverse lights and the other pwr wire is separate and supposedly goes to the neutral safety switch.

790

The neutral safety switch sends a ground to one side of the starter relay the other side gets 12 volts from the key when you turn it to start..you need both of those to be right then the starter relay will close sending the12 volts down to the starter solenoid please give me the colors of the starter relay wires to make sure I can tell you which ones to check

Ok the relay itself : Thick red goes to the BATT that is stamped on the relay , thin brown or tan goes to the one marked BAL, thin red goes to the one marked I, thick brown goes to the one marked SOL, and the black with white stripe goes to the one marked G

790

Ok here we go....red or batt should have 12 volts on it...jumper from red to brown marked sol...it should crank by its self...let me know

yes it does

790

Ok now we know all is good to the starter...next....check the thin red for 12 volts when someone turns the key all the way to start....

That I do not have

790

Ok the 12 volts on the thin red wire comes directly from the ignition switch.....the ignition switch gets its power from a fuseible link on the rear of the left front wheelhouse....its 20 gauge wire and it is orange....you have to get power into the ignition switch and then out to the thin red wire next you have to pull ignition switch...check for full time 12 volts on orange wire coming in...then see if you have it coming out on the thin red wire....if it comes out when you turn the key the problem is the wire from the ignition switch out to the relay...the thin red wire..if it doesnt come out it is a bad ignition switch...

ok will check it out. Thank you very very much. I will let you know what comes of it

Can someone post a picture of a n safety switch and the harness wires...I have 1985 dodge ram truck??