starting problems

Asked by Sep 16, 2009 at 11:50 AM about the 1984 Dodge Ram

my 1984 Dodge 328 will not start... runs great when pushed... will not start even with a jump!  Some say it does NOT need a starter, based on it turning over... replaced plug wires, rotor, had battery tested...what do you suggest?

5

check your coil or distrubutor if not your elecrtical system maybe be corupted with things such as rust or a simple broken circuit.

8,375

So let me get this straight.... So it runs when pop started? So I can assume it's a manual correct? And you hear the starter turn the engine and chug, but it doesn't start? (based on the 'Some say it does NOT need a starter, based on it turning over...') When you try to just turn the key does it turn slowly? Or is it a bit slow?

85

hey ud you should check the resistance on youre starter, starter positive cables and negative cables on the starter. IF you get less than 10 ohms ure good. if thats all good cheak the risistor for the coil and the starter rellay on the firewall. and you can make a safe bet to replace ur electronic ignition box wile ur at it its $25-30 dollers. try that and give me feed back. it will take a bit but will save you money

25

when you turn the key over, does it make a click? it could be just your cylanoid has finally given up,