I have a 1961 Dodge W200 Power wagon and it looks like the engine is seized. I would like to fine a replacement but I can't fine one. Can you help?

30

Asked by May 31, 2015 at 11:44 PM about the 1961 Dodge Power Wagon

I have a 1961 Dodge W200 Power wagon and it looks like the engine is seized. I would
like to fine a replacement but I can't fine one. Can you help?

59,235

Try this. Remove the spark plugs and fill the cylinders with Marvel's Mystery Oil. Leave it sit for about a week. Then try to turn the engine by hand. While your waiting for the Marvel's Mystery Oil to work you can lube the upper engine by removing the valve covers and pouring oil on the valve train. HTH. -Jim

83,485

Finding a good used one is getting tough, these were discontinued 20 years ago, you could try an auto wreckers hotline, but if your looking for rebuilt ones you can still get them, fairly easy, or go a crate engine if you have the bucks. Just google your engines year make and size and a number rebuilders will come up, or try your local parts store for engines. You could, if you really want to get into it is rebuild the one you have if the block and heads are still good.

285

There are still plenty of 318s floating around wrecking yards and if you check out old motor homes, there might be a decent 440 to be had at a relatively cheap price as well as on-line engine recyclers. Check local (state or region) wrecking yards, also Craig's List might have something worthwhile from a donor vehicle. But either way, you'll have to go through a used engine to make certain that it is still useable.

30

But how do I know an engine in a junk yard is good? Is there a test I can do?

83,485

A lot of wrecking yards will provide a part warranty only, so if it isn't any good they will give you another, but mpw5 stated you should freshen up any used engine you get if you are going to run the rig.

59,235

Cost wise anything you get from a junk yard will mostly likely need to be at least "freshened up" before you can use it. I doubt that anything that old will just be able to be dropped in as is. So you'll have the cost of the engine plus any work needed to make it runnable. If you can get the engine you've got to turn over by hand I think you'd be better off having it rebuilt. It'd probably cost about the same. Plus you'll end up with an original Power Wagon. Unless you were planning on making modifications to it from the beginning. HTH. -Jim

30

What will the mystery oil do? Just free up the pistons?

30

The only two mods I was willing to consider was switching to fuel injection instead of carburetor, and changing the oil air filter to a standard air filter. But that means losing the original engine. And frankly, I don't know what kind of engine I could get that would offer me fuel injection and fit the truck.

83,485

Holley makes a fuel injection unit that will bot on the original intake manifold so you won't loose the original engine.

30

could you send me a link for that?

83,485

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/

83,485

And sometimes you can find some on E-bay

285

Here are a couple of sites. I personally have not used them and you'll have to do the research for quality and warranty. /r mpw5 www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_brands/replacement_engines www.swengines.com/UsedEngines

30

Re: Try this. Remove the spark plugs and fill the cylinders with Marvel's Mystery Oil. Leave it sit for about a week. Then try to turn the engine by hand. While your waiting for the Marvel's Mystery Oil to work you can lube the upper engine by removing the valve covers and pouring oil on the valve train. HTH. -Jim Do I use the mystery oil in the valve train as well, or just regular motor oil?

59,235

Just regular motor oil for the valve train will be fine. HTH. -Jim

285

The info that Jim has given you is very accurate. I agree with the idea of seeing if the engine will turn over by hand before going out and looking at a different engine. When I rebuilt the top end of a Plymouth 383 in the early 80s, I went through 6 sets of heads before I found two that were worth the investment of grinding the valve seats, putting in new valves and springs. It's a complete pain so if your engine is rebuildable, your best off because you already have the correct engine. /r mpw5

285

Windy, I was looking back at your comments and feel that switching to fuel injection and a KN air filter will improve the performance of your Power Wagon once you get it running again. There are numerous after market parts that will "bolt on" to the present intake manifold and, if you add headers, it'll flow better. But that's down the road after you get the wagon motating once again. Just make certain that you keep the original parts for if you decide to sell the vehicle down the road. /r mpw5

30

The KN oil filter, it says that you can just take out the oil based one and use the same hardware. Is that right? I thought I would need a new airfilter housing or something.

285

You need to make certain that you get the proper filter for your particular vehicle and engine. You will need to make certain that you follow directions to the letter. In your situation, you may have to move some stuff around inside the engine compartment. For instance, in my Dakota, I have to remove the existing air intake and replace it with the equipment that comes with the KN system. /r mpw5

30

Hi guys. I tried the mystery oil for a week, got the breaker bar and a long pipe and it isn't budging. But then I realized I didn't oil the valves. So I took off the valve covers, but I don't know where to put the oil. Or if I should just call it dead and either rebuild it or buy a rebuilt. I've been working on trying to get it to budge for over seven hours and I just don't know what to do now.

59,235

Hi Windy. Unfortunately I'd say that the engine is seized. It was definitely worth a try. As far as oiling the valve train I'd just, literally, dump about a quart of oil all over the entire valve train on each side once you have the valve covers off. This will lube the top end. The engine may still not be beyond rebuilding though. If you want to keep your Power Wagon original I'd talk to a local machine shop. Tell them what you've done so far to try to get the engine to turn and also let them know about how long it's been sitting. I'm very sorry you couldn't get it to turn! Thank you very much for letting us know the outcome. I appreciate that. HTH. -Jim