another tach - speedo ?

Asked by Aug 10, 2008 at 08:36 PM about the 1989 Dodge Omni

...same '89 Omni with 2.2 liter and 3speed automatic... what is your tach reading at 50 mph?  60?  70?   Thanks, Owen.

35

85 daytona T1 a413 - 65ish is ~3000rpm I think I'll double check when I can the trans is from an 89 turbo mini gearing is found here http://www.robskorner.org/faqs/Trans/a413trans.html#89v whats your problem? The a413 is horrible for gas I get like 20flat highway or city its right around there

35

this is with the stock tach btw sorry bout that

...I was just wondering what's "normal"? I have a homebuilt trike using the Omni drivetrain. I recently changed engine/transmission. 2100 rpm gives me 50 mph, 2500 - 60, and 3000 - 70. This is slightly faster (100-200 rpm) than the original engine was turning to give the same speed. However the replacement engine is giving better gas mileage than the original - about 39 mpg as opposed to 32 or 33. But that's Imperial gallons, and I estimate the trike to weigh about 1/2 of the original car. I was just wondering... and hoping the transmission wasn't slipping or ?? Thanks, Owen.

35

Wait why would you think its slipping if its getting better gas mileage? omnis are a lot lighter than daytonas so should get quite a bit better gas mileage anyway...then you made a trike with even less wieght than that. The a413 is made to haul around at the least a ~3000lb daytona so I would guess your ~1200lb trike is not going to tear up that trans...Also the increased gas mileage could be from a less worn out engine etc.