Front end noise left side,1989 dodge dynasty

Asked by Dec 04, 2014 at 10:15 AM about the 1989 Dodge Dynasty

There is a loud roaring noise coming from the left front end on a 1989 dodge dynasty

just when u are moving I am assuming? check wheel bearings.

mikepriestlake may well be right..or does it sound more like engine/exhaust sound?

Safety first, check the lugs for tight. pull and push the top of the front tires. Road test to the speed the noise begins. if it is 40 or below, Slalom the car and observe what happens to the sound when you add and subtract weight. Decide which side. Wheel bearings can make their early noise around 30. They increase and worsen. If it roars, It should feel rough when safely jacked up in neutral by hand. You may see rust debris at the seals. You can buy the steering knuckle complete for some makes. Pressing fees for hubcenter and then bearing can add up quick. You need a place that employs technicians or does machine work. You could buy your own press. Harbor freight. Since you have to do the other side in a couple weeks. You will need pipe sections to use as receiving cups. And some beefy snap ring pliers. Since that car is an American Classic, you might want to get steering knuckles for both sides at the u-pull-it yard.

Best Answer

add tire pressure and tire inspection up there with lugnuts.

Do not forget to check the rear bearings too. I have thought definitely that one side was it and then done both. Then had a helper walk up and spin the rear wheel and say "whats this rumble back here ?"

It looks like the 89 has a design refinement since the press them apart days. The "where are the wheel bearings located on an '89 dodge dynasty" question has some photos submitted by ytlas that show the update to the configuration. Those, you access in the same place, in the same way up until the cv is pulled out as the complete hub is unbolted from the steering knuckle. Some impact sockets may have to be purchased if you don't have a 12 point set. and an extension wobble. The rears are tapered roller bearing style, and the diagnosis is the same still you want to check all 4 for roughness. The sound seems to telegraph, or be elusive in that model, to me at least.