1974 Dodge Dart patched radiator now car wont move

Asked by Jun 26, 2016 at 01:55 PM about the 1974 Dodge Dart

Hi there. I have a 1974 Dodge Dar Custom. The engine and Tranny and a full rebuild. The car drove and ran fine. As I was towing it from a car show. The strap broke and put a hole in the radiator. So I took it out and had it patched up. I put it back in. I checked all the fluid it has a perfect level. I checked all the lines made sure they were tight. Everything seems o be ok. I put it in drive it bareley moves. And reverse wont even budge. I do not know whats going on with it. But it ran fine. Now its not working. If anyone could help. Please let me know!

13,885

Double check the transmission fluid level with the vehicle running. Did the Tow strap fly underneath and hit anything else? Check all linkage. Regards

I turned it on. and checked the fluid. It seems to slosh back and fourth. I dont think its moving into it tho. And no. I double cheked everything. Nothing else is damaged.

107,445

How were you towing it? If the rear wheels were on the ground and the front on a dolly did you disconnect the driveline from the rear differential? If not you fried your transmission.

No i drove it off the flat bed. it ran fine fine. Just after I unhooked the raditor and put it back in it quit working. And the Tranny has had a complete rebuild. Thought it was a tranny issue.

107,445

I believe your right, it was just a coincidence with the radiator, something most likely wasn't done right during the rebuild or a seal failed, it does happen.

My trans guy called earlier and said it was fine. He is putting back in car right now. I jst dont know what going on with it. Should I just go out and buy a new radiator? and jsut keep the one in it for the collectors?

Would a new radiator fix it?

107,445

All the radiator does it cool the trans fluid, it has nothing to do with making the car move, I've seen cars drive with plugged coolers quite often it's just the tranny's overheat and burn the fluid or at the very least blow it out the vent or up the dipstick tube. If there was nothing wrong with the trans then why did he pull it, could he not run pressure tests in the car? You could buy a new radiator or you could totally bypass and plug the cooler in the stock radiator and add in an auxiliary cooler, that would isolate the tranny fluid from the coolant just in case a fracture occurred internally in the radiator. Plus it is totally reversible.

My car doesnt have a dipstick for the transmission fluid. just has a blac small box on driver side of engine. With a cap that when you pull it off. it shows the levels of fluid. He pressured tested it and said it was fine. So he pulled it to see if anything was wrong. Its still not mving.

107,445

Then something is wrong with it.

Had another treanmission expert look at the car. Transmission is ("FINE") So is the transfer case and seals. Now im down another 100 for diagnostic fee. So don;t know whats up with car.

107,445

Did you blow the rear end? is the driveline turning when you put in drive or reverse with the wheels on the ground? Cars didn't have transfer cases back then.

The problem is fixed! There was air in the Trans line. Got it working!!!!

107,445

Well that's a first, I have never heard of the cooler lines causing that kind of trouble. Glad you got it going.

Yeah. Thought that was weird to. But hey it works! Not gonna complain.