engine troubleshooting

Asked by Nov 24, 2016 at 09:28 AM about the 1964 Dodge Dart

My 1964 dart 270 225 ci has sat for 10 yrs It was running fine until a
problem arose  It will idle fine but in gear it wont accelerate  when you give
it gas it starts to go and then falls flat sometimes stalling always restarts I
rebuilt carb  new fuel filter blew out the lines  checked tank pick up points
cap and rotor look ok it ran fine until I added trans fluid then problem
started removed 1qt fluid still same problem Who has any ideas? Thanx

56,845

That's the accelerator pump in the carburetor. When you step on the gas the accelerator pump is supposed to shoot an extra stream of gas down the carburetor throat to give you the needed power for the acceleration. With the engine off, look down into the carburetor and open the throttle by hand. You should see a steady strong stream of gasoline shoot out inside the carburetor. If not the accelerator pump needs replacing. I'm betting that's what is wrong. HTH. -Jim

Already checked acc pump, working fine,found vacuum advance unit on dist not working, replaced along with points, cap, rotor, cond., and vac. unit, when car reaches op temp same problem. I went to buy a ballast resistor(BWDRU12) but the ohm reading was 1.5. Other forum says that's too high. Could the coil be failing when hot? Advanced timing , thought that worked but when op temp reached , same problem. Still searching. Running out of ideas.