What is the largest engine I can install in my 1964 Dodge Dart?

Asked by Jan 01, 2013 at 08:46 PM about the 1964 Dodge Dart

I need to put a new engine in my 1964 Dodge Dart and I was wanting to make it a "sleeper" of sorts. I was wondering what the largest engine I could possibly install in it is? Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks for the input.

155

Throw in a 454 LSX motor. Its very powerful, reliable and very light.

65,975

According to my copy of "Encyclopedia of American Cars 1940 to 1970") the largest V8 installed, from the factory, in a 1964 Dodge Dart was a V8 273.5 with 180 horsepower. HTH. -Jim

1,245

A 360 is the same physical size as a 273. You could increase the 360 to over 400 if you go with a stroke assembly.

585

what skill level do you have?if you are a novice ,stick to the small blocks , if you are skilled in fabrication,by all means a hemi is the way to go,will give you all the power needed and resale on this if done correctly will bring the money! all the money...........................

AAACAR~ I am an intermediate mechanic but my friend is a mechanic for Dodge and he will be helping me install it. I had found a Big Block Mopar 440 V8 crate engine for $3000. Here are the specs for it: Block: 1975 HP Block, Magnaflux Tested, Power Honed with Plates, Standard Bore, Deck Checked for Straightness, New Cam Bearings and Steel Freeze Plugs Installed. New Melling Oil Pump. Rotating Assembly: Stock Mopar Crank, Rods, & Pistons. New Clevite 77 Main & Rod Bearings, New Sealed Power Rings. Zero Balanced with Professional Products 80013 Harmonic Balancer. Top End: 4006452 Cylinder Heads, 2.08" Intake, 1.74" Exhaust Valves, Swirl Polished, Multi-Angle Valve Job. Heads have been CC'd and chambers equalized. Valvetrain: Comp Cams K21-225-4 Kit with CRB XE284H-10 Camshaft (.507/.510 Lift, .284/.296 Advertised Duration for an aggressive muscle car rumble with enough vacuum for power brakes), Valve Springs, Lifters, Keepers, Retainers, Valve Seals, & Double-Roller Timing Chain. Camshaft degreed to manufacturer's spec. Fel-Pro Gaskets. Mopar Performance Intake & Valve Covers. 8-Quart Deep Sump Oil Pan. I can get it for a real nice deal and thought it would be a nice replacement for the current engine. Any thoughts?

1,245

It's a good deal, but check out the cost of headers, motor mounts(possibly a new k-member, will need a transmission, transmission mount) etc. Depends on your budget, if you've got the money, almost anything is possible.

585

resouces are the game , it's an investment and does not take money needed for everyday expence, and done the RITE WAY it can make a profit,this you and the family must discuss..................

65

What was wrong with the original motor.