engine quits

Asked by Mar 02, 2010 at 10:37 AM about the 1989 Dodge Dakota

89 3.9 170k miles, new plugs,wires,cpu, new inline filter and small  see thru filter, fuel present in filter, starts runs rough settles out stops in 2 to 4 minutes just like key was shut off, will restart in about five minutes do the same thing.  

update: Removed ASD relay, cleaned terminals,dusted off the old stuff. Found defective, unknown somewhat the buck sensor, in rear of engine with a broken tab and unseated. Pulled the sensor found liquid in the base, dried with Q tips and paper towel. Checked fuse link areas in wiring on drivers side found no problems. Started truck( finally and watched fuel disrtibution in venturi area of t.body, fuel was really ugh kind of yellow. Truck ran two minutes, hit started and it immediately started, repeated this three times and truck ran for 45 minutes before turning ignition off. Fuel spraying into venturi was clean and now the T.B. is clean and shiney. Noted top of throttle body has same nasty color so I guess its a treatment with spray fuel cleaner to finish the clean up. Dont know what the broken sensor is but it is identical to the sensor for coolant temp in the front of the engine. For someone more experienced it looks like a second temperature sensor in the rear of the engine, passenger side, about three inches from the distributor.