my 1980 Colt 200 stalls when i put it in gear. How do i fix it

Asked by Dec 16, 2007 at 01:34 PM about the 1980 Dodge Colt

my 1980 Colt 200 stalls when i put it in gear.  How do i fix it

not to much info ,i would take to a mechanic .or you could check for a vacume leak.

44,945

You don't mention if you have a auto or manual trans. If manual trans, this could be clutch-related. If automatic trans, you could have a lot of problems. One thing, check the output of the alternator --I had a 1984 Lincoln that would stall out when put in gear -- turns out the alternator was not putting out at low RPMS such as curb idle and the vehicle would stall. Replaced the alternator and everything worked great.

65

the 1980 Colt FWD was offered with a choice of 1600 cc or 1400 cc engines with the hi/lo 4 spd manual transmission, so I'm confused by the "200" designation -- can you say a little more about how long you've had the car, and when the stalling became a problem?