Should I restore my 1983 Dodge Challenger?

Asked by Apr 08, 2008 at 05:31 PM about the 1983 Dodge Challenger

The car has been in storage for over 10 years. We took it off the road because the engine blew;
we purchased another engine to restore the original but never did anything with it.
Here is what I know needs to be done (and I am sure there is more):

Engine rebuilt from 2 existing engines OR Engine completely replaced
New gas lines
New brake lines
Brake cylinders
New floor pan
Under-carriage replacement
Most likely needs exhaust replacement
AC needs a retro-convert kit to a non-CFC refriderant
There is mold throughout the interior
Driver side door will not open

This car is dear to my heart and a rare find but rationality comes first...
From a practical standpoint, is this a worthwhile project or a waste of my cash?
Is this something mechanics see and cringe?

Thanks :)

14,565

A project like this will require a significant investment. Unless you have so much money that you don't know what to do with it or you can do most of the work yourself, (rationally) I wouldn't bother to tackle it. However, I love this car and have owned one myself and would do whatever I could to make it happen. This is a tough decision - take your time making it.

um i may be a bit illiterate about the fuel saver era of cars but i was pretty sure or thought i was pretty sure the challenger ended in 1974

10,235

Honestly, from a practical standpoint, all cars are a waste of money. You never really get your money back. Investing in a car should be that of a passion. If it means something to you. I say, GO FOR IT. If it is something your are just going to sell later, cut you losses now.

10,235

Wow, and you would be wrong!!!! 1983 was the last year for the Challenger.

35

I think if u want to have ur Dodge fixed, then fix it. it is ur car and u can do anything to it that u want to. but it cost money, and a lot of it cause it is so old. it will be a worthwhile project that will make u feel happy . like when u first bought it

490

i say tube chassis and small block mopar or new 5.7l hemi crate engine. look out corvette owners

185

i say restore it. when its a car that nice, rare, and close to u go 4 it. i have a 82 dodge mirada im gona restore it. ya its a boet but hey i love it

35

As always, whether or not a car should be restored is completely based on sentimental value. I can not tell you wether it will make you money but if that is why you would restore it it is probably better off being sold to someon who has the sentimental value in mind.