Hello, I have a 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLS 550 - Sports Coupe (4-Door).

Asked by Oct 07, 2013 at 02:08 PM about the 2007 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

While driving the dash board alerts me "to Stop, the car is rising, then it will flash red "that the car is too low, Stop the car."  Do you know what is going on?  Could the hydraulics be faulty?

2,435

If your car has the semi-active air suspension it could be a damaged air bag. I suppose this could explain the car being too high whilst in motion because in theory the system would recognise the damaged air bag as a pressure variation (as it initially started losing air) and as a result tell the pump to put more air into that location. The pump would then work overtime trying to keep the damaged bag inflated. There ya go, my tech tid bit for the day. Although in reality it's probably a knackered sensor. MB don't seem to be able to make electronic components that don't break.

Thank you very much for your response.

2,435

haha sorry, I know it wasn't very helpful as I have no knowledge of airbag suspension system on mb. My answer was based purely on spares I found on a parts website. I just narrowed it down to the weakest component, the airbag.

9,025

The question would be - does the warning light stay on or does it go off in a few seconds. If it happens only occasionally AND the light does not stay on, you probably do not have a major problem. Sometimes the air suspension is just slow. However, if the RED warning light stays on - you most likely have a serious problem that needs to be addressed right away. What really makes theses expensive to fix is when you delay repairs and other things end up getting damaged because of it. Unless you have an all inclusive or OEM type warranty - you may find that this type of repair is NOT covered. In that case, you may want to consider a reliable independent mechanic because the MB dealer will really get in your pocket for these type of repairs.

Thank you for your response. To answer your question, the warning light does not stay on. It just flashes for a minute or two. I failed to mention, I guess because I only paid attention to the noise it makes this morning. The car is very loud as the suspension is rising. I don't remember that being the case when I first bought it. Yes, I did buy it used. However, I will have the car serviced as soon as possible. I just wanted to mainly know if this was a serious issue or not. Gosh, I have only had this car a few months and am learning that although it may be a nice car to have, classy look and all, it is so very expensive to maintain. It is a very sensitive car.

9,025

Funny thing about Benz's - the ones that are driven daily seem to have less big problems and last longer. Sounds like you may just be looking at the ABC compressor rather than the strut assemblies. MB dealer can verify that fairly quickly. Check here for prices on your car - https://www.arnottindustries.com/search-Products/index.asp?make=18&model=60&year=129 . If you really want to have fun - compare those prices to your MB dealer. If you plan to keep the car - consider an extended warranty (but not from the dealer). The best ones are not cheap so you just have to figure how much is peace of mind worth.

2,435

mercedes really has become another "run of the mill" car company lately in my opinion. Sell it and buy a classic, they don't break half as much and they look far prettier.