Merceds Benz 300 CL

Asked by Oct 13, 2015 at 05:42 PM about the 1990 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class

Normal drive is just around the neighborhood, no more than 5 miles round trip every day.  The last two times I've taken it out on the road for a longer ride, after about 30 miles the car's electrical system shuts down, radio, lights, windows, the service engine soon light comes on and the car dies.  If I let it sit for 20-30 minutes it will start again but won't go for more than about 5 miles before the same thing happens.  I've had it at the dealership and they can't find a problem

MB's are fickle little beasts. They want to be driven a lot and often. Electrical problems sometimes are the result of not enough driving to get the batteries fully charged.

Mick Stewart

Seeing as the car's 25 year's old it could also be a really shitty earth wire too. There's one in the boot that gets particularly bad if the rubber seal around the bootlid is bad and letting water in.