ml320 bas esp ets and brake lights all are on all the time as well as dinging. Mechanics checked it out and say panel/module needs to be replaced. Is there a way to disconnect or silence the dinging

10

Asked by Sep 02, 2012 at 02:19 PM about the 2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

I have an 2002 ml320 and the bas esp ets and parking brake lights are on all the time and the dinging
starts after I reach 20mph and then stays on all the time.  Two mechanics have said I need to have the
esp panel replaced.  Is there a way to silence the dinging in the meantime?

1,695

You cannot even start the truck without ESP connected. Did they try the brake switch yet? (very common)

30

Your dealer will replace it for free. There was a factory recall for the brake switch and I had mine done. BR.

10

Thanks to you both, but it has already been replaced. I was hoping that there was a way to silence the beeping until I can afford to replace the esp module. Any ideas??

75

hey try reseting the bas/esp if you had it replaced thru stealership (or did it yourself).to reset start your truck keep it in PARK turn your wheel all the way left, then turn it all the way right, then straighten up your wheel. sounds funny but that is how I did my bas/esp. My 01 ml320 no longer dings and that annoying light is off

20

the dinging can be silenced by removing the speaker on the instrument cluster by desoldering

The car starts normally. After 5 min to 20 min of driving, suddenly the truck slows down and brakes by itself. Almost like if I were stepped hard the brake pedal. Warning lights on. Try to start driving again, but the same thing happens. Shut the engine down, completely, and the BAS/ESP idiot lights lite and remain on. Then I drive the car, but "feels" funny. I am waiting for a brake ligth switch replacement, because this is what I read in various sites. Any other idea? Thanks

50

I have same thing. 2002 ml320. 4 left lights on dash then check engine comes and goes. Tried the steering wheel reset. It works sometime. One thing strange. When it is morning cold and damp it comes on right away. Later in the day when its warmer and drier it is delayed and sometimes all the lights go off only to come on again at night or in the am. Got a new brake switch. No help. Thought about a new ets module but I can't figure out where it is. Possibilities are: ets module, abs pump, wheel sensor, yaw sensor, steering angle sensor. Had codes read at dealer and Indy and they did not detect a specific problem. So I'm not sure where to start. I can't get my car inspected so I can't get my sticker. Ps. The slowing down is the car going into limp mode. That is second gear.

10

How to switch back on

I have also Mercedes Benz ML320 mfd 2002. After driving for almost 20min, the car slows down and brake by itself, while doing that the warning light illuminate and finally the BAS/ESP light comes on. Once BAS/ESP comes on the problem will never repeat unless I turn off the engine and start again. I found a very strange solution, I discovered as the days go, the time between starting the car and the braking was keeping small as days progresses, after good one month the BAS/ESP light started coming ON immediately after putting on the ignition switch, and not braking any more. It is more than one year now I enjoying my car without taking to any merchanics

I had the bas ets abs light on plus dinging when I bought it. took it to sealer they said it was missing an abs fuse.