How do I remove the battery in my CLK 320

30

Asked by Nov 13, 2012 at 06:48 PM about the 2003 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class

The owners manual suggests that there is a screw, but it doesn't show where it is, and I can't see anything that is
holding it in.

103,775

Look around the base of the battery tray.

30

The battery does sit on a smallish tray (not much bigger than the battery itself), and there are two nuts on one end that are attached to inverted bolts. One is nearly against the firewall, and would require a socket extension as long as the batter is tall (about 8 inches). Even so, there seems to be no visible way that the batter is attached to this tray. Seems like a crazy way to install a battery.

9,125

look thoroughly for the battery hold down bracket. or a single bolt with a small head on it, 8 or 10 mm i think....all cars have one due to safety standards for roll over crashes, and not having the acid all over the roads...the clk if i remember correctly, was a long bolt, into a black plastic piece that wedges along the battery, so you need sockets 10, 13, and 8 and an extension

30

Thanks for the reply. Again, there are two nuts, but no bolts. And there is no visible attachment of the battery to the tray, so it would have to be from underneath, which just seems odd. I didn't really want to unscrew the nuts since I can't see the heads of the bolts. They look to be the same size, and one is reasonably accessible but the other is not.

9,125

can u post a pic. and no, there is nothing underneath i assure you of that. alot of times the nut to the bolt, is locked in place or stationary...please post a pic for me

30

One photo shows the subject nut, slightly right of center, between the ground wire attached to the frame and the red safety cap of the battery. The other picture shows the back nut, which is between the battery and the firewall.

30

This picture shows the front of the battery. The previous picture is the back.

9,125

no definitely not the ones i am thinking, and not the side, mercedes has the hold down on the end, to accomdate different length batteries...(sorry i didnt say that earlier)...

30

I know the Germans tend to think a lot differently (I've also got a Porsche), but there is nothing else there that even looks like it could be something that holds the battery in place. And this certainly isn't a screw.

9,125

ok stupid q: the battery a 74 AH, or 100 AH (size)?, is it wedged, and just not moving, or heavy, or?? Porsche is fun to drive, not a fan of the left side key..plus being 6'1" 250 and used to the Big Body sedans, its not easy to adjust to..which model do you have? i will continue to research this for ya, (unless you get it before i do), will keep you posted

9,125

http://htsmall.ecklersmbzparts.com/assets/ppm/images/size/265x265/sku/P62-009.jpg a picture of what usually wedges at the base of the battery on the end..with a long aluminum bolt, going through....

30

The battery is a 100 AH (approx 13 in x 8 in x 8 in). I can bench press 300 lbs, and when I try and move it, the whole car rocks. Pretty tight quarters, so everything is hard to get a grip on. Most odd is that, if these are the two nuts that hold the batter in place (and not the one screw mentioned in the manual), then a guy needs a 10-inch socket extension if he ever intends to replace the battery. That's just weird. Obviously, this is my first attempt. My Porsche is a 1990 911 Targa. I've owned it for 20 years, and it's in beautiful shape and a really fun car to drive.

30

Couldn't get the picture to come up, but I think I know what you are describing. There is nothing "obvious" that is holding the battery in place.

there are two nuts on the right hand side of the battery. i think they are 11mm and you'll need a 6"+ extension to get them out. remove the bolts and then remove the black bracket that they were holding down. you will now be able to remove the battery.