my car wont shift out of 1st gear. what would cause this? its an automatic.

Asked by Sep 14, 2007 at 05:58 AM about the 2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

not sure if its relevant but the battery died right before it happened. the battery hasnt been replaced yet.

44,565

Sounds like the transmission may have kicked into stay-alive mode because of low battery voltage. Replace the battery and see if that solves the problem.

670

The later model mercedes benz have an electronic gear shift assembly and I would not have a soda or coffee spill over the gear shift console because it will short the assembly out and your car transmission will not shift out of lower gear or will stay in a lim mode or you can manually shift to the D by depressing the buttom on the console. Good luck

1,020

i have the same problem with may mercedes-benz happin to 2 of them both c280 98,00, cause i let my detail man clean my car and he high pressure spray my engine now the car acts funny, it drives, but doesnt wanna shift outta of 1st gear? idk y its doing this i kno the car is wet i let dry for couple weeks & still the same thing & this is 2nd time

515

check gearbox oil level if its low it wont change up gears or will be slow to change up

5,125

The transmission is computer controlled a dead battery would affect it. Did you get a jump start from somebody? If you jumped the car incorrectly you could cause damage to the electrical system and possibly damaged the transmission computer and even the ECU.

470

my car wont go into ger is a clk 430 what can i do so that i can drive

2,445

If you have a late model c-class/clk and you can't shift it out of Park (P), try this... Open up the armrest/ storage compartment in the centre console, behind the gear shifter. Pull out the black liner thing at the front of the compartment. You should now see a hole in the front wall of the compartment where you just pulled the liner out. insert a suitably sized screw driver until you feel it stop on something inside the hole. Now, grab the gear lever and pull it out of park while at the same time pushing the screw driver against the thing that stopped it. This should activate the emergency release allowing you to drive the car but be warned, if you don't take the car to a garage to get the problem fixed then you will have to do this every time you want to drive the car.

360

Question: I have a 2007 Chevy Malibue and it wount shift out of first gear yes it"s automatic What can I check to find the problem

2,590

i have a Mercedes c230 model 1999 with auto electric Transmission: it's stuck in 1 gear and dose not change the gears!! when i pull on gear it shake's all the car... i'm based in kabul Afghanistan unfortunately there is no any good mechanic for Mercedes to know the problem of it!! Any one have an idea, what is the solution please?

510

My C320 would stuck at neutral when stop. Mb dealer charges 3000 to replace Transmission Control Board and Electronic Shift Module. Any comments?

150

I have a C350 and they are charging me $6,000

1,200

I have a C200 1.8 petrol auto. For some reason it became low on transmission fluid and the gear changes became clunky, so I took it straight to my mechanic. He filled the transmission fluid up and the gear changes were back to normal, however it will suddenly just stick in 3rd gear. When it does this it will not let me manually change gear and I cannot switch between Sport and Comfort mode. As soon as it is turned off and resets, approx 30 secs, it is fine to drive again. Anyone got any ideas please?

980

2000 Mercedes E320 has the same problem as Detailerdeb had described "Detailerdeb answered 2 months ago I have a C200 1.8 petrol auto. For some reason it became low on transmission fluid and the gear changes became clunky, so I took it straight to my mechanic. He filled the transmission fluid up and the gear changes were back to normal, however it will suddenly just stick in 3rd gear. When it does this it will not let me manually change gear and I cannot switch between Sport and Comfort mode. As soon as it is turned off and resets, approx 30 secs, it is fine to drive again. Anyone got any ideas please?"

500

Hi can anyone help me on my e500 w211 year 2005 .when I shift in D or R it give a shock and on D its dnt change gear it stuck on 1st. Speed sensor check, solenoid check, filter change, oil change.

150

It could be your transmission module......

170

Hi All. thanks for this blog it helped alot, I have MB C200k Avantgarde petrol 1999, I have some weird and strange problem, Every day after few minutes of driving, The Rpm raves by itself with out me touching the accelator(in neutral) and the other problem is when i switch off the car the , its like i switched off the car 4 times in a row ,, i mean all the electronics go of on off on of on for in am tter of sec....i hope i an get some advices...many thanks

510

I got a Mercedes you can start it and put it in gear and it won't go what could be the problem any body have a clue

260

240 c class 2002

400

Before anyone spends too much money at a Dealership to have a shift problem looked at, check your battery. If it is weak (still may start car and lights are fine, but lacks sufficient volts/amps) it will send error codes to the computer and cause shifting (stuck in 1st or 2nd) problems. Change the battery and reset ALL of your error codes (usually requires a technician not just disconnecting your negative Batt. connection) and your car will be back in shape. If this doesn't work, then the problem could be with the transmission control module. Sometimes the trans. leaks fluid on the module and ruins the circuits. Usually it is just the battery that causes this issue....

340

Plz guys I need help I have a Mercedes c180 coupe auto for some reason my car drives but won't go over 3rd gear sports or normal mode button won't work and trip tronic does not aswell plz could help me

160

I got a 2001 c320 that wont go past reverse. Will go to park tho.did I break some or is it my transmission

230

Hi thanks for this forum its really helpful. I am having a problem with my C230, 2006 model it has a v6 engine 272 and manual transmission. Now the car starts and idles but does not rev. On the cluster there are two messages that are popping up. .. 1. It says check coolant level 2. Alternator not charging Now coolant is there and the battery is actually full. What can cause the problems of not revving on this car? Please help

100

What can i do to fix my mercedes Benz. E500 it turns on but wont run

150

Hi i have a 2006, C280 it stuck in 2nd gear, also I have change the transmission module and it still truck in 2nd. can some one help me please

150

Try resetting your transmission. 1- turn key to third position 2- Push gas pedal to the floor and hold for 1 min. 3- turn key back to off position 4- leave key in ignition and wait for dash lights to go out completely with out opening door. 5- reset should be complete. 6- this will put your transmission back to factory settings. new MB's have the capacity to learn driving habits, and your transmission will shift according to your driving habits. when resetting your transmission be sure to be on open road. the first 45 shifts will be your new shift patterns.

20

how can you manually move the gearshift in 1999 clk 320, there is no pin hole on top or under cover, or no yellow tap or button on back on mechanism to push. Its stuck in park.

My 2011 dodge won't shift out of first gear

30

My 2006 Mercedes C180 Kompressor auto went strange today, Battery alternator light came on, radio went off indicators didn't work interior lights didn't work, ABS & SRS lights and coolant light came on and car wouldn't change gear, every so often it would rectify itself. Got it home turned engine off and back on and it was ok

10

ok guys i know im kinda late but my mercedes is stuck in 2nd gear limp mode wont go from there or change the driving modes its stuck in sport ive chaged the conductor plate oil filter oil pan it was shifting for a 5 mins and it stopped again i also checked the tcm on it and it was good and my battery is brand new can it be that the small battery is low and it doesn't let it shift or should i check my ecu

10

Same trouble here

10

I fixed mine replaced conductor plate erased all the codes and bam shifts like a brand new car doesn't slip anymore