Service lights?

35

Asked by Jul 10, 2009 at 08:42 PM about the 1990 Volvo 740

Does anyone else have a service light on when they start that car that turns off after driving a short distance? I've got a 1990 740 Turbo, and my check engine light used to do it, but now my brake light does it instead. It does turn off. I was told before that it's a normal system check or something, but I'm wondering why it would've gone from check engine to brake.

45

The service light.. It's on for about 5mins or so, and then it turns off.. That's normal. I have the same "problem" :P And it's probaby just a check. And the brake light (probably the handbrake?) is because the stick is a little loose, so the switch for the light turns on. :P Same "problem" on the 740 my dad have. ;P But the check engine could tell if you need to take it to service. But if you already have had the car on service, it's nothing to be afraid. But if you still doubt, you can take it to a garage and get it checked ;)

40

HEY guys it a service light NOT check engine light it goes on every 5000 miles have them clear it at next oil change if it is the check eng light then get the codes then clear after repairs its easy