1990 Volvo 240 station wagon issues?

Asked by Jan 27, 2015 at 01:22 PM about the 1990 Volvo 240

I have a 1990 Volvo 240 station wagon that has a number of issues but I am a student at
a UC and do not have the funds to fix everything.  My car usually starts normal if I haven't
driven it in a day or so but if I park it and come back to drive it again within a few hours it
won't start.  I have to tap the gas a bit when its growling at me to get it to go and then
immediately drive it so that it will stay on.  Recently, it has been doing this thing where
when I drive it it sounds like the car is restarting itself if I stop at a light for a bit.  
Sometimes, the check engine light will go on but if I tap on the gas it goes away.  I'm not
sure what any of this means!

This is a problem with hot starting. It could be many things, so you need a professional. For example, the fuel accumulator might be defective. What it does is have a load of fuel for restarting a hot engine. But this is an expensive repair.