Why does my 240 DL start up easily when it's cold, but when it's warm outside or after the engine is warm, it has problems (re)starting?

Asked by May 02, 2014 at 08:49 AM about the 1990 Volvo 240

Bitter cold or cold weather--starts right up.
If the weather is warm or if I have run the car for a while, park it even for a couple of hours, then try to start it again, it gives me fits.

could be the cold start valve- or the choke if it's a carbed car- the car may be confused and flooding itself when it is warm- just guessin'

I have the same issue. I have narrowed it down to neutral safety switch , the ignition or the starter. When it gets hot out, i am assuming plastic and metal do not get along.

I have a 240 parts car that I will use to diagnose the issue and report back. Starting with the simple stuff first the wires and fuses.

It has to be your cold start valve or some call it the cold start injector. I have the same problem but it goes away as soon as I unplug that cold start valve/injector. I have researched the problem before and it appears there is a relay for that valve and it sometimes burns up and gets stuck on.