1993 960 wagon A/C compressor

Asked by Jun 28, 2009 at 05:24 PM about the 1993 Volvo 960

I may sound silly...so please forgive me in advance!
I noticed that on my 1993 960 wagon, the A/C compressor pulley (wheel where the belt is) is spinning on the outside, but the inner wheel is sticking and not always spinning. Is it absolutely necessary to replace the compressor when this happens, or will a new serpentine belt help, or is there ANYTHING else I could do?

Thanks for your help!!! Amy

I was thinkin about it...and I guess that perhaps I should ask if the inner wheel on the front of the compressor is not supposed to spin all of the time... Is it supposed to spin when the A/C is switched on in the car?? I DO feel silly!!!

255

No worries. When the A/C is ON, then the inner wheel is supposed to spin *at times*, not all the time. The outer one spins at all times when the engine is running. Basically, the system is pumping refrigerant around, and when it's pumped enough, it disconnects the compressor (inner wheel) until it needs to pressurize again at which time it enables it. You'll hear it as a clicking sound when it enables/disables. It's normal operation and if you get cold air out of the vents, you're good.