My 93 850 glt 5 is making a horrendously loud noise. First it only did it when cornering (no brake applied) now even on straightaways it sounds like its coming from the rearend. A mech. said its drive

5

Asked by Jul 01, 2013 at 03:55 PM about the 1993 Volvo 850

A mechanic suggested the drivebelt tensioner. Would I hear that form the rear end? And if
it is the dbt is it difficult to repair, approx. how $$ to fix. I'm old & poor.

Thank you

5,855

Tensioner would be quite easy to replace and not too expensive to do, $75 should be a fair price for the belt tensioner itself. I would recommend replacing the belt as a preventative measure as well, this should cost less than $20 for the belt. I've no idea on labour costs, I would need to check with VADIS for repair times but I'd reckon it can be done in about an hour and a half.

292,485

Your mechanic would be the best person to give you a correct answer since we would only be guessing like you. If your hearing it from the rear, it could be a wheel bearing. If you want to replace the tensioner yourself access is tight, not as easy as sounds. Get a belt routing diagram, (should come with the removal tool). You might be able to replace the pulley instead of the whole tensioner, and I'd replace the Serpentine belt as Lars has suggested. You probably will have to buy a serpentine accessory belt tool set. http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5830/105058-serpentine-belt-tool. You can get the other parts here....http://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/850/Drive-Belts/?pt[]=307172010....or at IPD.

275

My V70-98 makes noise like your description. Noise comes from rear brake, the brake caliber is broken near pin so the pads can move to wrong position.

5

Thank you all. I appreciate your help. Would there still be noise even if the brakes are not in use? Thats what has me puzzled

275

Yep, mine did make the noise at frist when you turned left(right caliber). Now it makes it even in driving straight. It is very easy to chech the rear brakes. It should have both pins positioned thru both holes, and the metal bit to keep te alignement of the pads proper. Because my caliber has broken, one pin is only attached from one end, so the metal bit has dropped away.

Best Answer Mark helpful