VOLVO 940 S TD . STOPS IN FIFTH, STOP OCCASSIONALLY CHANING UP ,JUST OCCASSIONALLY. GARAGE DOESN'T KNOW

5

Asked by Aug 06, 2012 at 09:57 AM about the 1995 Volvo 940

OUR LOVELY OLD VOLVO, HAD FULL SERVICE HISTORY , FULL MOT. But its started stopping. we have another car now. can this be due to a lack of use, it spoils the car, i have it for my student son, but don't feel safe about it suddenly losing power. although it restarts with no trouble. starts first time normally. what can cause that sudden loss of power.

5,035

On some 940's the fuel pump is wired directly to the positive battery terminal. Its a small wire, less than 1/4 thick. Make sure the connection is good and tight. The fuel pump relay module eventually fails on these cars with age. If you have soldering skills, you can disassemble the relay and re- solder the relays connection to the circuit board. The relay is located in the center console as depicted here: http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700- 900/ImagesProcedures/relay3.gif It is possible that one or both of the fuel pumps has failed or is failing, however the pumps dont usually fail... its the relay or a wiring issue. I had one Volvo 240 in which I had to run new wiring to from the front of the car as there was a break between the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump harness. Most 740/940 models I have repaired has simply been a bad relay.

5

Dear Chris, i will run that past my volvo garage. sound like a huge job. would that be in keeping with the problem i described about it cutting out in fifth , to resume (pick up ) without restarting in fourth?