oil hose / tappety and smelly

35

Asked by Aug 18, 2008 at 04:37 AM about the 1995 Volvo 850

there is a hose that connects to the elbow where the air feed goes into the engine that is attached to a plug/bung that also has a brown wire connected. Where does this hose come from and why is it feeding oil into the air feed all be it a small amount from looking at it.

when the car is cold it is tapperty for a couple of seconds on start up and is a llittle smokey till engine warm. Also the fumes from the exhaust smell of badly burnt fuel.

PLEASE HELP.

43,945

The hose sounds like it's a PCV hose, which recirculates crankcase gases back into the intake to be re-burned. That's why some oil gets back into the air feed through it. Sounds like valve stem seals or possibly a rich fuel condition is involved in your smoking exhaust, etc.

35

So the oil slight oil being recirculated is nothing to worry about I ran the car with the plug out and I saw the gasses coming from the hose but no oil.....I take this is nothing to be worried about. Is there a way to check valve stem seals? (How hard to repair?) How to check rich fuel condition?