my 1996 850 Sedan has been stalling while going very slow or in idle. I re start it and it is OK?

Asked by Jun 19, 2007 at 07:55 AM about the 1996 Volvo 850

My 850 sedan has stalled while going very slow in parking lots or coming to a stop. All the dash lights "light up" and it stalls. I put it in park and restart and it is OK. This has only happened twice and the car seems to be running well and idles normally.

22,290

Hi Miller! Sounds to me, based on what you give me here, like a sensor problem, perhaps the beginning of a sensor failing. Take a drive by your local Volvo dealer and ask a service guy. he'll probably be able to give you an idea of your next step. Good luck!

Interesting. I just started having this problem with my 1996 Volve 850 seday and have spent about $400 to have diagnostics run/troubleshooting. Nobody seems to be able to figure it out.

55

This may help: Under the air filter, in the air filter duct, is a control for cold start. It often get stuck for various reasons. It's spring loaded. You can actually move it by hand to close and open. Try it one way or the other. It may cure the problem. Tip is from a Volvo mechanic. Other info, follow Cargirl posting on stalling: check thermostat and ECT malfunction. More: check computer read out may help, especially if sensors are bad.

60

Having the same issue, car stalls unexpectedly, dash lights come on but always restarts with no problem. parts replaced are mass air flow, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, cam sensor,and ECU, most recently the turbo was replaced.

60

Sorry that's a question not an answer