Help!!! My ac on my 98 V70 does not work. Not a bad problem if the power windows work, but sometimes when my car is sitting in the heat and sun I get in and the radio won't work, the windows won't w

25

Asked by Jun 29, 2010 at 10:26 PM about the 1998 Volvo V70

4,275

What year V70? I have seen 1998 to 2000 models with bad AC condensors. To replace the condensor the dash board must be removed. HAve you tried recharging the AC? Also on the 1998 to 2000 models (maybe later too) The driver side window switches get dirty. You can carefully remove the switch assembly and take it apart. spray the metal contacts with eletronics cleaner and use a dental pick to clean the contacts in each button. You can also replace the entire module, but this will run you $100+ used.

25

Okay...I took the car to my mechanic and he switched two sensor overload relays to see if that would indicate a bad sensor....it did not make a difference. He charged my AC and it worked great for about a month. He put some sort of dye in it and said they could check it under a special light to see if the system had a slow leak. Haven't had the time nor money (came out to a flat a few weeks back and had to buy some new tires) to take it back.Obviously it does leak, because the AC is now back to non-existent. When the car gets really hot from sitting in the sun, various things will not work when you turn the ignition on. The blower, radio, and windows do not work... it is as if someone pulled a fuse. I have found that if you turn the car back off; then turn the ignition key again, everything will come back on. If you don't do this and just drive (sweating profusely in a sealed hot vehicle) for awhile, then 10-15 minutes into the trip, everything will just turn itself back on! Have been told that electrical issues are difficult to diagnose....thanks for the ideas, though!

4,275

The leak is probably at the AC condenser. If they cannot find the dye I can almost say 100% that its the condenser. As for your electrical problems Your ignition switch is probably going bad, this will cause all sorts of electrical gremlins. Try using the key by itself (especially if you are one of those people that have 5000 things on their key chain) The ignition switch in my V70 sometimes prevents my headlights from working, and the ignition switch on my s70 sets off my SRS light. Common on the 70 series Volvos that have high mileage or a lot of starting cycles.

25

I am planning on getting the car back to my mechanic to discuss the dye/AC issue...Are condensers an expensive part? I do not have loads of items on my key chain....just about 6 keys. That is an interesting theory about the ignition switch, I will have to look into that further. Would it be reasonable to think a fuse or a wire is getting too hot and that is why it only acts up when the car has been sitting in the sun? I am ready to play "Stump the Chumps" with the Car Talk guys over this oddity.....I have about 110,000 miles on this vehicle....I believe this qualifies me for "high mileage" :)

4,275

I had the two parts mixed up in my head. The condenser is in the front of the car. The evaporator is behind the dash board (this is the part that goes bad on this model) Sorry about that! The evaporator will run $100 to $150 depending on where you purchase it ( I recommend fcpgroton.com, $109) but the labor is going to be the expensive one on this as the entire dash board has to be removed. I would call your local Volvo dealer, and then call a few independent mechanics. Someone who knows Volvos will be best for this job... The previous owner of my car had theres done by someone who did not know the car and they broken several clips, stripped out screw holes and has caused the dash board to rattle. A fuse getting hot wont cause this issue. The fuse box on your car is located in the engine bay anyways so it is always near a heat source. Jiggle the key in your ignition next time you have the problem. It is also possible that you have corroded wires in your battery terminals. There are 5 to 6 positive wires going to the battery, if one of them is corroded you can have electrical gremlins. My money is on the ignition switch. The switch is $48 at fcpgroton.com and shouldn't take more than an hour to replace.

25

Interestingly, I scheduled it for Thursday at the mechanics to assess the AC problem and to try and get to the bottom of the electrical gremlins. I went to turn my car off this evening and the key won't come out of the switch!!! So, I am beginning to think you may have hit the mark with this ignition switch. Thanks for the website info as well!

Thanks for the lead on fcpgroton.com Christopher. My 1998 V70 t5 is approaching 200K miles and needs A/C inspection.