What is 'expensive'?

Asked by Jan 12, 2008 at 09:18 PM about the 2000 Volvo S80

So many people say the maintenance on the S80 is high. Could you tell me a percentage over the average? I'm willing to pay a little more for repairs. But I don't want to pay 3x as much as a Honda... I don't want to have to pay expensive repair costs like I do for my Land Rover Discovery!

only thing i have heard from other people is if i can afford to own a volvo,i can afford to have it worked on.sorry ,i know this is not the answer you are looking for,but i do know parts and labor is high,i think you are paying extra because of the nameon the car.

10,385

I agree with Papa 100%, they cost quite a bit more for what you get. but if you like the car and you dont mind the extra expence, all the power to you. Best of luck!

Do you know a percentage of how much more expensive?

64,855

A lot depends on your area. Around here, the Dodge dealer charges $76 per hour for repairs. Not sure what the Volvo dealer charges, but I would assume it will be closer to your Land Rover prices. Call around to the Volvo dealer and get a per-hour repair rate. Mercedes dealer in this area charges around $150 per hour for repairs. So that would be 100% higher than Dodge, for example. A lot also depends on what goes wrong with your vehicle. If you have one that has few problems, your overall repair percentage may be equal to or less than a Honda that has a lot of problems. No exact way to say. Parts availability is another issue -- less aftermarket parts support for a Volvo than, say, a Honda, which sells more vehicles and hence has more companies making replacement parts for it.

10

Unfortunately, they are expensive to repair and there isn't much you can do about it! I own, (owned), an S80 T6 that required a multitude of repairs and even tho' my mechanic is a "master" technician and quite able to repair just about any vehicle, he can't work on my Volvo because it requires all specialized tools. I had my S80 for two years this month and I have probably spent in the neighborhood of $5K in repairs during the two years. Now, the timing chain broke and smashed the pistons into the intake valves and the dealer is estimating at $7500. to repair if nothing else is wrong. Of course the price will go up if they find anything else. (His rate is $148./hr) I am getting up and running away from Volvos because of the inherent cost to repair!!!!

1,425

its a swedish car. every thing is held together with torx and hex bolts. but hey, at least its not a VW.