Timing Belt or New Car? That is the Question.

85

Asked by Feb 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM about the 2001 Volvo S40

I have a 2001 s40 with 71,000. It will cost $2800 to repair. I'd prefer to fix it, but not
if it's going to open a whole new can of worms. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

725

I have a 2000 S40. I was told by the dealer that 105k was the time to change the belt. Although time may be a factor for you since I chanced mine a couple years ago. I went through the same thoughts as you. But new car or repair? I ended repairing it and glad I did. I figured my car was paid off and these repairs will be needed due to the age. My car still runs and looks great. In the end, its your call.

85

Thanks for the feedback. Just curious, did you change the belt before it actually broke, or did it break, like mine? My concern is that there was valve damage, which means engine damage. If that didn't happen, I would be a lot more comfortable dropping the money. Thanks!

725

I apologize. I thought they were asking you to replace it likely due to age not mileage. I didnt catch the part that the belt is broken. I changed mine at 102,000 +/- as its typically due at 105k. Since yours actually broke and we know potentially how much other damage that may lead to, I would problably want to know if there is any other damage. If not, seems reasonable to proceed with fixing it.

85

Thanks! That's good advice.

195

I have a 2000 volvo s40 with 128K mileage. The dealer asks me to change the timing belt also and it cost 700 bucks. Do you guys think it worth to change it if the car is only for daily use for school? I am not going to drive it to any places two hours away. Need advice, thank you in advance

85

Change the belt if you trust your mechanic.... I am lucky though because I know a trustworthy place that is in Lancaster, Pa, and they did mine for $500, plus replaced my air bag module under the center console, because I had an SRS light on. I am selling it now because I have enough vehicles. I'll leave you with this however, I think everyone should have a Volvo as one of their vehicles if possible because I had a 1995 that saved my life. Sure they have problems, but with a little research you can help a trustworthy mechanic Diagnose the problem quicker without paying Dealership mechanics plus every year and every model has their issues like any other Make or Model so do your homework and invest in preventative maintenance since you already have been putting money into it.

10

I have 2002volvo s 40 and I changed the timing belt at 220 000 km , I am the second owner , the belt didn't broke I just wanted to change for safe . I went to Volvo service and they told me that I should change the water pump and everythinh what is there in the same spot with timing belt , some seals , also. They asked me to pay around 1500 $ , but the water pump didn't lick so I said : why to cange everything ? I want to change only the belt to be safe ! They told me that is good to do all , but I didn't beleive them so I cange only the belt and I payed 680$. After 4 weeks I got oil everywhere , under the hood and in the same spot where I change the belt !! Why ? because when they change the belt , they took out the seals and other parts and , or the pars was very old ,or they didn't pay attention , so I went to other service , no Volvo and I paid again the labor and change everything , including the water pump, the seals and the belt again ! I paid 800 $ and I TAUGHT that I AM OK NOW , and i fixed the car !!! BUT NO !!! still oil again !!! I taught I am losing my mind !!! I went back to the second service and see what's going ?? and other parts was brook , in the same spot , that cost again the labor for 5 hours plus 300 $ the parts !!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO !!! STILL FIX THE CAR OR GARBAGE ?? I LOVE MY CAR , I don't want to put on the garbage , I can't sell like this and I can't get nothing if I sell the car because I have 220 000 km ! SO , is still worth to keep the car and try to fix ? and spend more money or is time to GO !!! say good buy !!!

Go back to the Volvo repair shop and ask them. You should have taken their advice when you changed the timing belt. It is a difficult job to get the timing belt changed, a its deeply embedded throughout the engine. You wouldn't have the chance to change those old seals any other time. Sorry to say you were being cheap and insulting to your mechanics, they're not all out to rip you off. Of course some do, but a authorized Volvo mechanic probably is not doing so. Good Luck. I'm in the same boat. But, my belt is broken, so do I fix it?