carburators

Asked by Dec 31, 2006 at 12:09 PM about the 1983 Ford Mustang

I think that my car has the origonal carb in it.  It is a 1983 gt with a few engin modifications to it.  I noticed at the end of the summer that the choke would not stay on and that there was some wet spots on the carb. Just wondering if I should rebuild or replace the carb?

17,805

Hello, It's hard to say at this point without knowing too much about the car. Decisions about rebuilding take into account miles, upkeep, etc. If you just replace the carburetor, it may be a great short-term solution, or you may be faced with more repairs shortly thereafter. I think you could be okay with either option. Just depends on how much needs to be fixed, and if you would rather do so piecemeal, or undertake the entire project at once. Either way, it sounds like it could be a fun (though time-consuming) project! Best of luck! CarGrrl

1,255

If you have an original carb , it should be a Holly 4180 , made specially for the Mustang that year. It had a modified metering block and so is not like any regular Holly carbs , also has 2 large tubes with hoses attached leading to front and rear fuel bowls( used for emmisions ) the carb should also have a metal tag attached on the top ,with one of the carb screws , it will have numbers on it used to denote the type of carb ( unless someone removed it)

I have an '82 5.0 that I bought brand new. The problem with the choke is that it depends on the tube running up from the exhaust manifold to the choke housing. I still have the car. Just running a Holley 4 bbl by choice. Doug.

Throw the original carb. away and buy an elderbrock intake and an elderbrock 600 cfm carb. They work great!