Hi, I have a 1990 Vanagon. I had a rebuilt motor built for it by a VW shop. It will only go 70mph?

Asked by Apr 15, 2007 at 01:50 PM about the 1990 Volkswagen Vanagon

Hi, I have a 1990 Vanagon. I had a rebuilt motor built for it by a VW shop. It will only go 70mph max, like it has a governor, with no ability to rapidly accelerate nor pass. I took it to another shop and they said, after checking everything they could think of, the cam was lifting .050 too little? What do you think? Thanks Peter

15,280

Hello stretch-- What do I think? I think I would take my 1990 Vanagon back to the place that sold me the rebuilt engine. If they are at all decent they will answer your question and make any modifications necessary. It must be frustrating being limited to 70 mph. Good luck from Bovan.

I took it to a second shop. He tested everything he could think of. Then he checked the cam versus another one running right. He said, he thought the cam was of 50/1000s. I took it back to the engine builder and told him the diagnosis by the other mechanic. He has had it a week and I haven't heard anything yet. He knows it's a slug.