Coolant

Asked by Apr 02, 2009 at 07:39 PM about the 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon

I have heard that you need to use a very specific coolant in the 1991 VW Vanagon otherwise you will have serious engine issues.  Is this true?  I am about to buy one (v.excited) and a am a bit short on specifics on this issue.  Any ideas?  Dan

255

hi, as far as my experience goes,... there is no specific coolant you need. the most made mistake is not getting the air out of the cooling system what creates air displacement and about that too less coolant in the system what can causes overheating of curse. the trick is to lift the van up in the front or put it uphill,... important is to have the nose up,...because the cooler in the front and the hoses running under the van,.. lifting the van up will let the air in the system go out way easyer. 10 to 15 degrees up in the front with warm motor and heatersystem full on. let the engine run for approx a minute at arround 2000 rpm and watch the coolant in the back to refill if needed. that will get all air out of the system and you be ok. perhaps you have to idle hi rev sometimes a bit longer. hope i could help