Automatic Transmission Shift Lever/Plunger Problem

Asked by Nov 15, 2010 at 04:51 PM about the 1991 Volkswagen Cabriolet

The automatic transmission shift lever freezes in push in the plunger
on the left of the knob/handle and it won't go in.....after some period of time it
may release.  Is this a common malady of the "91 Cabriolet?  Any easy fix?

My daughters cabrio just started having the same problem, I took off the knob and lifted the selector panel,, there is a plastic cam that prevents the plunger from going down to shift gears. there seems to be a switch that controls the cam, I don't know what the switch does, but I jury rigged it so the cam cant slide under the plunger. She is able to now press the side button and switch out of park. again I don't know what the switch does. am trying to researc a permanet fix.

Replace the brake light switch that is actuated by the brake pedal. I've had this problem. The car thinks the brake pedal is not depressed so the interlock for the shifter will not release. About a $40 part 10 minuets to replace.