Red blinking light on the car temperature gauge...

10

Asked by Mar 27, 2010 at 01:52 AM about the 1993 Volkswagen Cabriolet

There is a little red blinking light on the temperature gauge.  I noticed the coolant a bit low and topped it off but that light won't quit blinking.  Any ideas?  The car has'nt overheated or reached an abnormally high temperature.  Perhaps the sensor is faulty?

40

That means low coolant level. Note that it might missing a lot more coolant that you think, best if the dealer checks it, because VW can use only the BLUE or PINK Pentosin-coolant (depending on your model) that is made by VW. If you mix it with the ordinary green-coolant available in auto stores, it will slowly but surely destroy the engine. Thats why many VW-owners have to repair the head-gasket after a while.