How do I get to the tail light bulb on the driver's side? Surely I don't have to remove the cabinets like my mechanic suggested.

Asked by Jun 21, 2011 at 01:57 AM about the 1995 Volkswagen EuroVan

After 100,000 miles I finally have a light bulb out...but the hardest to get to!

30

I just saw on the Yahoo! Eurovan Group how to get to those bulbs. You may join the group to get the details. But from what I remember, you take off that electrical panel and reach in with your right arm (sitting on a stool facing the left) . . . Good luck!

10

yes, remove fuse panel cover then plastic cover over whole of back on that side. This is a pain but the only way to gain enough access to light cluster. Removing cabinet isn't necessary however. light cluster held in place by plastic clips either side of unit.

70

Just did the 1995 euro-van tail light replacement today.And don't get in a hurry ,you have to take the cover off the electric panel ,I didn't remove any wires,just unplug the main power cord it gives you a few more inches of working room. There are 3 nuts 5/8 in to remove two on top and one on bottom ,like an upside down triangle ,and they are very tight to get to ,i used a t-handle with the socket attached.Then after they are removed ,there are two squeeze clips that you pull towards the inside and it will let you remove the lens, and the three bulbs, are right there.I do suggest replacing all three once its open just so you don't have to do it again.....have fun.

Best Answer

Thanks, it hasn't been much of a problem here in AK as I only use the van in the summer, these days, and it is pretty much 24 hours of light. But I do plan on doing all three next summer!

Thanks to EVERYONE for this solution. I followed the suggestions, got the cover of the electric panel moved and reached in with my "little" arm. All went well until I tried to get the new bulbs back into the holes (push and turn right)...I didn't realize there were TWO types of bulbs (actually it didn't matter since I dropped all the replacements into the cavity of the vehicle since I couldn't see what I was doing). But I was able to go to my dealership (they treat me really well) and a service tech helped put the bulbs in...it's fixed and I'm a happy "camper". Thanks to all of you!!!

10

The bulbs needed for my '93 eurovan were a 7506 (reverse bulb) and two 2057. The nubs on the 2057 are at different heights so take care seeding it properly. The first time I did it it wasn't in properly and I was lucky to try again before starting to dig for fuses.