Is it bad to use the clutch pedal a lot? I do and also rarely brake without "clutching down" as well.

35

Asked by May 02, 2013 at 05:39 PM about the 1996 Volkswagen Golf

My Golf 3 Wagon  has a Manual Gearbox. It has served me awesomely, but I had to change the Clutch disc when it got worn-out. Dude who also drives a Golf told me not to keep my foot the clutch pedal at traffic jams or for extended periods, he said that Golf #s "don't like that". I use the clutch pedal a lot, and I'm finding it hard to change my driving style. Please advise, Is he right or it is just another Auto-myth?

325

I'm sorry, but your friend is right. It is no myth. One down shift causes one upshift- and it puts extra wear on the synchronizers. Best wishes! - Jackie

35

Thanks very much! I'll work harder at my driving Jackie.

1,355

you can minimize wear bymatching the engine speed to car speed when shifting and then you can get to th point that you only use the clutch for 1st and reverse. If you need some help learning that stuff, just ask your semi-driver friend for help. It is more than possible to get 200K mikes out of a clutch!

24,575

Ogidi...I agree with your friend as keeping your foot on the clutch during traffic jams (whether fully depressed or even partially so) is unnecessary and as previously stated causes wear on clutch components...Better in my opinion to keep it in neutral for this type of scenario. Here's something I found online, which I hope you'll find helpful: http://www.howtodothings.com/automotive/a4722- how-to-drive-a-stick-shift-car.html

35

Thank You Paul and Racer_X. Back to driving school I go! I hardly Brake without using the Clutch Pedal. Is it right or wrong to brake directly on the engine (So to speak)?

24,575

Ogidi...It's not necessary at all to depress the clutch when you're braking (This is REALLY a habit you'll need to learn to break). You're disengaging the clutch from the gear that it's in when you're doing this and accomplishing nothing. This just causes more wear and tear on the clutch. The brakes on your MT car are designed to slow the car down via the braking system against the wheels, NOT the engine, per se, same applies with an Auto Transmission car You CAN also downshift a MT or AT to allow what's called "engine braking" (I don't think you're quite ready for this on your MT car...so let's take this one step at a time).

35

My Baad! The first vehicle I learned driving with was a FIAT 640 Tractor, which was on its way out and had no battery, unlearning the habit may take a while but I have already started work on myself. Thank you so Much Guys! Another Question...How can you tell, or where do you look (on the Golf 3, Wagon (Bon Jovi) to determine if your car has a 1.6L or 1.8L engine. All the Commercial drivers and mechanics I have asked, including the car's importation papers say it is a 1.8, but the Injector (I'm assuming) mounted on the top of the Engine block has 1.6 inscribed/engraved on it. Is it possible to get a manual for the Golf 3 Bon Jovi (1996) Wagon online?