I have a 1998 Cabrio Convertible. The top is in great shape, but I have a water leak at the front-drivers side latch where top meets the window. Can I do something to stop leak temporarily?

120

Asked by Jun 24, 2013 at 03:03 AM about the 1998 Volkswagen Cabrio

I took my 1998 VW cabrio conv. through a automatic carwash set on its basic wash.  Water started to fly in from the driver's side, top-front latch where top cover meets the window.  The window does not seem to go up far enough?  The top goes up and down good and latches into place, but at that spot water comes in?  Is there something I can do outside of the car or inside of the car, at that spot, to temporarily stop water from leaking in when it rains until I can get it too a shop??  Please Help!! It's supposed to rain all week.  What else could the problem be?

35,015

A quick and simple fix would be to buy a role of that quarter inch foam that has a sticky side to it like tape. Your auto store will know what it is. Take a strip of that and stick it to the top of your window. When you roll the window up all the way, the foam tape will take up that little gap to prevent the rain from blowing in..........

95

I have the same problem, but I compared the top on both sides and also on other cabbies and I noticed that the drivers side top seems to be shrunk back where the top meets the window,

120

Yes, I can tell the rubber has shrunk over the years and the connection does not seal properly. I'm taking it to a vw mechanic and see what he has to say, but thank you all for your answers, they r very helpful......We got a good suntan yesterday driving through central Pa yesterday. FUN.

70

No one has mentioned that the latches are adjustable. There is a a 25 or 27 star screw that allows the hook on the latch system to be longer or shorter. Unless the contact between roof and windshield is completely worn out the latch can be adjusted so tight that it will be hard to lock the the roof to the windshield.( to short) When adjusted properly the contact between the roof and windshield should be firm and leak proof. Good luck