radio code

Asked by Apr 04, 2010 at 12:13 PM about the 1998 Volkswagen Cabrio

Hi. I was hoping that someone could help me with this problem. We have a 1998 VW Cabrio. The battery went dead and then the radio came up with something called "safety". We can't seem to rectify this problem. Do you know how to find the code to fix this very annoying problem?

Thanks,
Debi

Call any VW dealer and ask for parts or service. All the radios vary.

10

yes, you have to go to a dealer (usually they consider this a hassle; phone call to corporate will do no good because they have to see the car vin #, etc. as precaution). canceling the electronic lock: turn on radio (SAFE appears in display). when the number 1000 appears in the display, use the radio station preset buttons to enter the 4-digit code you have received at dealer. Press the right side of the SEEK button for 2+_ seconds until you hear a signal. The radio should set itself to a station ---- if you do not have the right code or procedure... it will go to SAFE again... you can repeat one and then you have to wait an hour to try again.