What might be the cause of three warning tones that sound occasionally when starting my 1999 Passat? It seems to have some connection with difficulty engine has turning over, as this only began happening recently when engine flooded so bad it had to be towed for service.

55

Asked by Aug 24, 2007 at 11:28 AM about the 1999 Volkswagen Passat

This is a curious thing the techs at dealership cannot figure out.  There is no reference anywhere in my manual that describes the three warning beeps (rather loud) that sounded when I tried to start my Passat two months ago.  The engine refused to turn over and I finally had it towed for service.  The service dept. deflooded engine but never addressed the question of the warning tone, always in a series of three beeps only when turning the key to start. It has continued to happen, but only occasionally, not every time car is started, and when the warning sounds occur engine turns over more slowly than normal.  It has never completely refused to start like that first time but I am not comfortable driving not knowing if I will become stranded without warning since no lights on electrical panel have registered a problem and there are no consistent symptoms to explain.  Very mysterious.  I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of these warning tones on '99 Passat or knows what they could mean.

14,395

Hi Joan, This could be related to your ignition switch. I've heard many instances where the ignition can cause a problem very much like you're describing. Maybe you can get the dealership to relace the ignition switch in hopes that it will rectify the issue. Hope this helps!