Lost all oil while my car was idling

Asked by Feb 28, 2015 at 02:16 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen Beetle

I have had my car for 3 years. 1999 Beetle 2.0. I have not had to add oil between changes and I take it for oil changes faithfully. in November I took it to a different place. by end of January I had no oil. I took it back and they tried to say I had an oil leak which I understand but had seen no signs and why would all of a sudden my oil be completely gone in a short period of time. The manager came, I asked if he would be sure it was the correct oil filter. He came to get me and said he changed the filter and added the oil. My car was idling in front off my house this morning and about 2 quarts of oil is on the ground! it looks like it was leaking from the piece that the filter goes into. I put my vin in to see what size engine I have and it says GLS 2.0. That is not a choice in the "select trim" area on this site for car info.

I have a feeling the old oil filter gasket is still on the car, when he changed it and didn't get it off that is exactly what will happen

65,745

Just to add to fordnut,s answer,if filter has been over tite,it will crack the oil filter housing ,leading to a leak.i have seen this happen on some bug,s my self.

I am going to have my husband check it! Thank You, I have had NO problems with this car at all.

There is no Crack in the gasket of filter and no gasket that may have been left in. It looks as though the oil may be coming from between the square part the filter screws into and the round part on top of that

9,605

its sounding like the oil filter square is broken. I have not personally seen this happen but it could be the issue. Try and get a bit better look in there and look from over top for any signs of leaks as well. some times the leak can be above where your looking. Also check all the lines leading down to where it was coming off of to try and pin point the source. If you have a telescoping cam which you can get at a car parts store like auto zone or Canadian tire (if your in canada) this would make the search much easier. another question i can ask is was the filter screwed in tightly ? or was it very easy to come of when you checked?

It was the oil cooler seal. A $2 part and an easy fix !!

9,605

glad you got it fixed cheapely i figured it would not be broken as its ussaly unheard off for the oil cooler unless some one smacks you in an accident.