Early model '99 Cabrio very hard to start in cold or rain

newsberry
45

Asked by Jan 29, 2008 at 03:33 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio

I have an early '99 Cabrio, manual trans (thankfully), that takes several minutes of cranking before it starts, if it starts at all, when it is cold or (even worse) raining. I've had to kick start it numerous times. It's like it either isn't getting any fuel at all, or it's flooding. Once it does start, it is fine. And there's little or no problem if the engine is warmed up. I've had it to the shop a half dozen or more times with no luck. They've replaced the breather assy., the distributor coil?, the coolant sensor and more. Diagnostic check does not indicate any problem. This car used to start on a dime, and it stil runs great once it gets going. The problem began last summer or fall and has been getting worse.

casper271
6,325

have you left it with them overnight? if you have taken it to them warm and you say it is fine once it warms up, they wont find anything. It could be a bad fuel regulator, the coil pick up, crank sensor, many things, you should leave it with them overnight, better if you know it will rain the next day. so that way they can see what is going on, mind you you will have to remind them to leave it outside, many shops will park a convertible inside overnight. best of luck, hope this helps.

El Guero Lopez
0

Every time i start my car it has to be wwith cables but i dont understan because its not the alternator nor the battery what it it please help