Passat misfires, chugs like a tractor, slight smell of fuel, can't pick up speed... Help!!

Asked by May 19, 2015 at 07:26 PM about the 2000 Volkswagen Passat

I have a VW Passat 1.8, 2000 petrol engine, it's old and has high mileage but has been
fine until recently. The symptoms started with the engine faltering while driving, lack of
acceleration and juddering intermittently. One a couple of occasions on the motorway it
actually slowed down when I accelerated. Then one day it stopped going altogether. The
garage has found it hard to diagnose. I've had a new exhaust, ignition switch, coli pack,
crank sensor, connector, cam cover gasket, air mass meter, ignition lead set. I got it back
from the garage yesterday and it was driving fine for a while, then the juddering and
misfiring feeling started again. The garage has spent ages on it and its costing a fortune,
does anyone have any further suggestions? Thanks.

9,265

honest suggestion? you shoulda scraped the car the moment the problems started. This is sounding like a fuel related issue. Have the fuel system checked back to front and replace the fuel filter. there is also a fuel pressure regulator on this modal and it only lasts so long before going out the door. so i would suggest a fuel pressure test. have all the vacum pumps checked as well and if your garage is not ussing a vagcom system from rosstech that would be why they are having such a hard time diagnosing the car.