transmission fluid in water system

Asked by Jan 29, 2013 at 08:43 PM about the 2000 Volkswagen Golf

Hi all , friend has golf 4 and the transmission fluid is in the water system , had this fixed 6 mths ago now the water is back, was told that the head is good , not leaking from head as i thought , mechanic is sure that oil fluid from gearbox is getting into the water system, Is this a common problem or is there another problem that somebody knows of  ?

19,985

just guessing but knowing the germans their may be a cooler in the rad for the gearbox somewere automatic yes for sure but this sounds like a stick, still a cooler may be cuz us americans dont like a stiff box in the colder climates,,if so it cracked like all that plastic junk does

The radiator is a bust. Line wrencnes should be used to not overtorque and cause leaks- The lower most portion of your radiator serves as keeping the transmission oil cool as well....in short, your plastic radiator needs to be changed.

Hi, the radiator was changed 6 mths ago replaced with a new one

This is the only place where transmission oil and coolant come close to one another. Perhaps they overtorqued and cracked the plastic? veeerry mysterious. Take it back to the guy that did the job and ask him if he overtightened the fittings-...at any rate this unit should have a warranty that you should call in~

96,045

X2 on the bad radiator.

2,845

the cooler for the tranny is not on the radiator. is on top of the tranny itself. must be broken on the inside, it is common when coolant is not used.

In a manual transmission - you say gear box-, there is no connection between the coolant system and the transmission oil. Sure, the gear box could leak oil and the coolant system could also be leaking, but the could not mix with each other. In a automatic transmission, in the oil cooler ( or ATF cooler ) the Automatic transmission fluid/ oil and coolant fluid would mix if this part was bad. If the ATF cooler was replaced recently then they replaced the cooler with a defective unit or made some other mistake