My Golf 4 2.0 (2000) is guzzling fuel. it also feels sluggish and jerks rather often.. What could this be?

Asked by May 03, 2007 at 07:25 AM about the 2000 Volkswagen Golf

The fuel consumption is ridiculously high,even for a 2.0l. o=its not performing like a 2.0 l though

Dear lrb3-- Without seeing your 2000 Volkswagen Golf I am guessing that you have a problem with your fuel injection system either leaking fuel or incorrect pressure from the injector pressure regulator. Or it could be the fuel pump. Have a mechanic look at it for your exact diagnosis. Good luck from Bovan.

Jonathan Ehlers

This happened to me a little while back. Check the spark plugs and wires.

A Facebook user

make sure the catalytic convertor isn't plugged up or restricted that happens lots on those, usually due to another problem so get it checked by a licenced tech with vw compatable scan tool

Robert Baysden

make sure your exhaust manifold is not cracked. if it is cracked that is pure oxygen passing the o2 sensor, and it will read lean. in acuality the engine has plenty of fuel and air, it will pour more fuel in thinking that more oxygen is passing through the engine when it really is just passing through the crack in the exhaust manifold.

James Brinicombe

I have a 200 Golf MK4 with the same problem Problem is the Air Mass Meter get it cleaned or changed!

Lian Taylor

Air flow meter (MAF), always goes on the golf

Phillip Ligon

mass airflow sensor may be out, possibly O2 sensor as well... either, or really.

Rune Langård

Check your Mass Air Flow sensor. It's located right by your air filter. My 1,8T behaved the same way when mine stopped working.

Dietrich Bachman

I agree with the others....O2 sensors and MAFs are pretty common on the 2.0L motors, especially the AEG code, which your Golf probably has.

maybe check with the dealer if it feels sluggish just rev it a bit or check that everything is working properly

Zia Kurtha

I have a MKIV aswell, 1.6 auto and it jerks all the time, esp when cold and warming up. The problem I have is the gearbox, it's on the way out, same thing happened to my MKII, which was also an auto, 1.8 GL. The sluggishness could be your fuel injector(s), as I had one of mine block up, on the MK IV and had to have it replaced. Does it feel sluggish then suddenly shoot off? If it does, it very well could be the fuel injector(s), but if it's always sluggish, then it could be something else, i.e. throttle body is dirty and needs a clean etc. Is your car an auto or manual? My fuel consumption is also high, esp for a 1.6 auto, though it is 11 years old this year and could be the reason! Hope this helps.

Rafael Santos Pico

Mine did the same. A complete tuneup after a scan and new plugs solved the problem.

Please I have vw golf 4 2.0 any time I on my air condition my fire will go off And if I'm speedy and I want to slow down my fire will go off