2000 Volkswagen Cabrio Keeps Dying, Help!!

45

Asked by Jan 14, 2008 at 06:27 PM about the 2000 Volkswagen Cabrio

1 week ago I accidentally drove my 2000 Volkswagen cabrio, manual 75000 miles, through approximately 1 foot of water at 35 MPH.   The car died half way through the puddle and would not restart.  With the hood open and my wife cranking I noticed arcing from the coil wire back to a ground on the coil its self.  The car eventually started and I drove it home.   The next day the car died after 3 minutes of running smoothly, same problem; I waited and the car eventually restarted and I finished driving it home.  The car runs fine for the first few minutes or until the engine warms up.  When I hit the water I had only been driving a few minutes and the engine was still cool, so I don’t suspect a cracked head.  The car cannot be driven for more than a couple minutes at a time without dying, when it does die it is only when I shift into a higher gear and give the car throttle.   The engine sucked in significant amount of water, I have already changed the oil and dried the air filter, replaced all plugwires since the water accident.  Please help!!

you could have shorted out the coil.

Best Answer Mark helpful
44,595

Yes, sounds like either a shorted coil or perhaps a short in one of the other sensors that controls the vehicle. I would take this to a dealership or mechanic you trust to figure it out.

45

Thanks, it was the coil alright. I installed a new coil and the car started right up and the CEL even cleared its self, how amazing! Car runs great.