brake pads for 2001 jetta

Asked by Jun 23, 2010 at 05:15 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Jetta

just got the shock of a lifetime can someone help with this????????? I have a 2001 vw jetta 1.8 turbo 76,000 mile on it and brake light just came on which means I probrobly need to replace the pads. I called my local dealer and was told that you cant just replace the pads you also have to replace the discs otherwise they make noise and dont last as long..... and was quoted 450 for the back and 550 for the fronts...oh my lord that's a 1000 dollar brake job!!!!!! is this true do I have to replace the discs also???????? please respond a.s.a.p as I cannot wait tooo long before I replace these.......... Thanks for all the help

9,030

You can save a lot by doing it yourself. The rotors only need replaced if they are damaged or are too thin to turn. Otherwise you can have them resurfaced by a shop. If you do need new ones, front rotors will cost around $30-40 and the rears are more like $15. Brake pads run $40-80 for fronts (with sensor) and $30-60 for rears.

1,105

do NOT go to the dealer to get your brakes done. their prices are designed for suckers. now, as far as replacing them yourself, if you think you can handle it (its not super hard but it is a vw... so it can play games with your self esteem) you can find really good DIY guides on vwvortex.com that will step by step you through it. BUT as i said vw's always like to play little games with you so you feel like you have no clue what you are doing. As for parts... ECSTuning.com. NEVER buy parts anywhere else. they have the best prices and they sell everything you could ever need for your car. if you arent sure what you need call them. they are super helpful and will know exactly what you need. it sounds to me like you need new pads and rotors front to back. don't worry about waiting too long for shipping, you can go pretty far after your brake light has been on, but dont wait a month. order the parts tomorrow, you're probably looking at $300 or so in parts. if you do want to attempt this feat on your own here is what you will need: all metric tools... some hand wrenches are going to be needed for the rear, I'm gonna say 13mm and 15mm a 3/8" ratchet set (largest needed will be a 17 for your wheel lugs so any home depot kit will do) an alan set for the ratchet for the rears as well (again, home depot kit is good) flathead screwdriver, good size.. mainly for prying brake caliper tool (now i would recommend just renting it from autozone cos the odds are you're not going to use it again for a while. they take $40 then give it back to you when you return it.. so its free) car jack, try not to use the widowmaker in the trunk jack stand or two PB BLAST will be necessary, you may have some rust under there that will make the bolts a little tough so soak em first anyways. i think thats about it. and there''s really not much to it. it looks intimidating but it really isn't. the only thing to look out for is the alan bolts that hold the rear caliper carriers. you have to take at them out the get the rotor on the rear. this is how you do it: soak them like crazy with the pb blast for like an hour or two before you start your project. if they are rusted in there and you strip them then there is no turning back. also, do not take both bolts out. just take out the top then bang on the carrier until it moves over enough to slide the rotor out. no sense in taking them both out and maybe striping one. and if you think about it before you start this. grab two more bolts from ecstuning so you can just replace the old bolt with a new one so next time you have a 76,000 mile newer bolt to take out.