wipers, heater, and headlights not working?

25

Asked by Nov 02, 2007 at 09:18 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen GTI

Car runs fine, the heater or a/c do not work, wipers do not work and headlights donot work, what can it be? Certain section of fuse box not getting power, all fuses are good. What can it be?

i would take to dealer or a mechanic you trust.

42,985

These are unrelated problems most likely, however, you may find some mouse damage to the wiring harness, etc., which could lead to various unrelated issues cropping up at once. You'll need to have this tracked down by a mechanic for sure.

260

I have a 2001 GLX with exactly the same problem. Drives me nuts. One day, I'll turn the car on, and the wipers, blower, and turn signals do not work. Sometimes I drive for 15 minutes, and they all come on. Sometimes they don't. Every time I've taken the car in for service the problem goes away before I get to the dealer, and they tell me they can't do anything about it if they can't replicate the problem. Drives me absolutely nuts. A real problem when it rains...

80

I have a 97 Cabrio that did the same thing and it turned out to be a faulty ignition switch. The next time it goes out play around with the switch. Jiggle the key around in the ignition until you hit the spot that make it go out and again until everything comes back on.the switch was only $32 and it solved the problems.

25

Most likely a fuse... a larger amp rating if it runs headlighst... look at your manual and if it is a fuse or a relay it will list specifically what doesn't work. assuming it's not written in German and you can't read it lol

230

Again let me reinterate , (trust me )it's a faulty ignition switch not a bad relay a short in the wipers or a bumb heater/ac nor bad sensor for the ABS but a faulty ignition switch.

80

Try changing the plastic behind the ignition switch,,, It is cracked.. Just finished doing that myself.. Wworked for 3 days chasing wires and relays only to find out that the ignition switch was cracked.

60

Well Done Jordan!! I should send you $36 bucks.. because you just nailed it. Geeze Louise. I Googled online help, got intouch with a VW mechanic which donates his time. If I was satified with the answer..I would donate $36. To funny, obviously my car could not blow all those electrical items at once. Thank you :) And cheap, cheap, cheap to replace! Cheers P

30

My heater and wipers won't work when I start it but when I have it in the accessories switch it works

80

I'm having similar problems, I'm very open 2 suggestions. My daughters 99 Beetle. The headlights, turn signals, Heater and back hatch switch won't work but, the flashers work. Also windows keep rolling down by their self. Oh yeah and a few times the radio has came on by its self with no key in ignition. I have no clue what's wrong with it starting to think its Christine from the movie.

20

I'm having the same issue. No ac/heater low beam lights or wiper blades though the ac and wipers start to work once I turn on the high beams. What's going in?

15

Same problem, and as others i am sure found out. this is something very hard to find online solution. Blower fan/power to windows and locks/headlights and inside lights/wipers all do not, {as in work then dont work}. i think i am fixing to just go out and buy ignition. is it easy to install? [2009 Xterra] i will for sure do the wiggle first, if it does something, then i will know for sure. thank you everyone, HOWARD

In replaced the load reduction relay and still the same.nothing happen.