EPC/Check Engine lights are on, engine won't start, radio and interior lights work, keyless entry doesn't work to open locks

Asked by Oct 09, 2014 at 11:11 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen EuroVan

2001 Eurovan GLS. Drove to Portland from Montana. Parked car for an hour. Started car
and drove five minutes then parked for another hour. When I returned, car wouldn't start.
EPC and Check Engine lights came on. Keyless entry remote wouldn't operate to unlock
or lock doors. Radio and interior lights work. Don't know how old battery is or if key is
original. Other helpful info: last month, while driving around Colorado, Check Engine Light
came on after going over several 14,000 ft passes--the transmission control module was
found faulty according to computer diagnostics but a Denver german car specialist thought
more likely overheating transmission fluid was to blame--and the car wouldn't shift from
3rd to 4th for several hours, but eventually drove like normal.

11,265

did you get a tranyfluid flush ? if your fluid was the issue its more then likely need replacing. as for the engine light have your car scaned for codes and go from there. it more then likely is a bad battery or a fault in the security system happens from time to time. try unpluging the battery after you get the codes for 15 -30 minutes see if that fixes the problem.

160

how to turn off check engine light on 2002 VW eurovan

11,265

you repair the problem or it jsut comes back on again.

One way to get rid of the CEL is to buy a $50 scanner from Amazon. That's what I did, and everytime the light comes on I hook up the scanner. It does an analysis and spits out a code that you enter on google and voila! it will tell you what the problems is then erase and Shazaam! out goes the CEL and your stress level. Though it would be a good idea to get it fixed. The solace comes in knowing the problem and telling the mechanic what to do without being gorged. IF the CEL starts rapidly flashing..Pull over. I have been doing this for years on my cars.do on my VW Eurovan and older prius